Throughout history, large scale events have been society’s favorite way to celebrate life and tradition. Yet in the wake of recent criminal attacks, many event organizers have been left wondering how they could have prevented these incidents. In most cases, adequate security would have provided the solution. With this guide, you’ll learn:
– How to assess risk
– Plan the event in terms of security
– And choose the proper security detail for your event
If you’re planning an outdoor sporting event, concert, show, festival, or any other event that will attract a major crowd, then security is your main concern.
As an event planner, you understand that large scale events attract both a swarm of beneficial traffic as well as individuals who intend to cause disorder. If security concerns are properly addressed, then your event could become a breeding ground for criminal activity. The prevention of fights, panic, and liability issues is equally as important as planning the entertainment of the event itself.
But how much security is necessary for a large function? How can you conveniently and affordably control the crowd, secure the premises, and protect yourself from legal liability? Here is SecuriWORLD’s guide to hiring security guards as an event planning business.
Asses the risks
Proper security starts with defining risks. Risk in this case is the likelihood that damage or injury will occur. You not only risk injury and harm to people and property, you also take on serious business risks such as an increase in insurance premiums, a loss of profit, and client dissatisfaction. The major risks factors to consider are:
– Size of the event: The bigger the crowd, the bigger the risk.
– Significance and background: Political events, recognizable personalities, and media coverage increase vulnerability.
– Nature of the patrons: Are your attendants wealthy? It’s certain to attract thieves.
– Nature of the event: If you are serving alcohol, you need an infallible system for ensuring order, safety, and restricting alcohol to minors
– Expensive Equipment: Decoration, lighting, displays and showcases are all attractive targets for theft
– Location: Does this location have a history of incidents? Is it secluded or in the heart of a city? If it’s right in the middle of the action, tighter security is necessary.
– Extent of Media Coverage: The more cameras the more opportunities for those with mental issues to “make a name for themselves”. Heavy media coverage mandates tightened security.
Once you’ve assessed the risks, you can move forward in planning.
The Pre-Planning Stage
During pre-planning, you must delegate responsibilities effectively and maintain relationships with key officials in the jurisdiction, including law enforcement. Details to pay attention to are:
– Security budget
– Evacuation plan
– A thorough needs assessment
– A detailed event timeline
– A possible staging area for protesters (political events)
Once you’ve checked these boxes, you must find the right security team to ensure that the event goes on successfully without harm to the public or property.
Acquiring the Proper Security Force
As an event planner, you must hire a trained, flexible, and professional security force for your events. When estimating the number of security guards required, it’s best to be as generous as possible. More is always better than less. When vetting your security providers, consider:
– Their experience securing large events and managing large crowds
– The training they provide their guards
– If they offer flexible options
– Their professional demeanor
SecuriWORLD’s professional event security services make hiring security easy. We give patrons the safety they need, making it easier for your event to go exactly as planned. Our company has a history of successfully securing events for business, entertainment, community events, and political causes. We train each of our English-speaking guards to handle large crowds, including customer service, crowd control, and situation diffusion. With suited, uniformed and undercover options for your event, SecuriWORLD provides the leading solutions for event security in Canada.